Below are the existing trail closures and notice to hikers (NTH) on the Florida Trail (FNST). Trail conditions are categorized by region, with the most recent notice first. This information depends on your contributions. Please report trail conditions by contacting the FTA office at firstname.lastname@example.org, 352-378-8823.
Please NOTE: Permanent trail corridor changes to the FNST will be followed with an annual (each October) update to the official FNST maps. The related NTH will be removed from this website at that time.
***Florida has unpredictable weather and environmental conditions such as storms and wildfires. Sudden closures or trail notices may not be immediately reflected on our website. As an important part of planning your hike, be sure to contact or visit the website of the land managing agency for the section you to plan to hike. Land managing agency contacts can be found here.
Check back often for the latest information. Please visit our store for the latest trail maps.
Interim COVID-19 Operating Procedures
Date Approved: 5/14/20
*Subject to change*
As the COVID-19 pandemic has progressed, the FTA board, staff, and our U.S. Forest Service partners have been closely monitoring conditions in Florida, and working together to provide operating procedures that keep our communities safe. The FTA board has voted to approve the following until further notice:
General recommendations to hikers
- As always, only hike sections of the trail that are open to the public according to the relevant land managing agency.
- Only hike on the Florida Trail if it is within close proximity of your home. A rule of thumb suggested by the American Hiking Society is to stay within about 50 miles of your home.
- If significant travel is required, we recommend instead that you explore your local trails and open spaces to reduce risk of spreading the disease.
- Follow CDC social distancing guidelines while hiking.
- Avoid trailheads that appear to be crowded.
- Will continue to be suspended until at least July 1st, 2020.
- Forest Service liability coverage for trail maintainers will continue to be suspended until trail maintenance activities are formally allowed to resume.
- If trail conditions, such as significantly damaged infrastructure, require immediate attention due to potential safety risks to hikers:
- FTA Regional Trail Managers should be contacted immediately.
- FTA and USFS staff will work with the relevant land manager to determine if accommodations need to be made to allow for volunteers to address the situation, or if a temporary closure or reroute is necessary.
COVID-19 Related Notices to Hikers
- 5.21.20 Florida State Parks update. Camping resumes
- 5.15.20 – Map 19 and 20 – FNST on the Ocala National Forest Open with Exceptions Starting May 16, 2020
- 5.11.20 – Trails Open, Camping Closed at Little Big Econ and Charles Bronson State Forests
- 5.8.20 – Panhandle Section Re-Openings
- 5.8.20 – NWFWMD Closures
- 5.8.20 – Gulf Islands National Seashore – Fort Pickens Closure
- 5.5.20 Some Florida State Parks Re-Opened at Limited Capacity
- 5.4.20-South Florida Water Management District Lands reopened
- 5.1.20-FWC COVID-19 update
- 4.11.20 – Map 19-20 – All Trails on the Ocala National Forest Closed
- 4.6.20 Little Big Econ and Charles Bronson State Forest COVID-19 updates
- 3.24.20 – Eglin Updates
- 3.24.20 – National Forests in Florida (Ocala, Osceola, Appalachicola) Closures – Covid 19 Update
- 3.24.20 – St Johns Water Management District Closures – Covid 19 Update
- 3.24.20 – All Florida Forest Service Trails are Open but Facilities Closed – COVID-19 Update
- 3.23.20 – All Florida State Parks Closed – COVID 19 Update
- 10.24.19 – Map 10 – Monkey Creek Bridge Closure
- 8.21.19 – Map 13 – Suwannee River State Park Through Trail Re-Opened
- 2.11.18 – Map 4 – Eglin Flooding Notice
- 7.24.18 – Map 13 – Ellaville Logging Closure
- 10.1.17 – Maps 2,3, 4 – Eglin Permits
- 1.1.16 – Map 2 – SR 87 Highway Construction – Closure of Trailhead
- 1.30.12 – Map 10 – St. Marks Bridges
- 10.11.19 – Maps 19-20 – Free Bear Canisters Available for Rent on Ocala National Forest
- 4.8.19 – Map 29 – Reroute on Highway 50
- 9.12.18 – Map 16 – Lake Butler Depot Accomodation Closed
- 5.12.18 – Map 15 – Big Shoals Reroute
- 12.9.16 – Map 18 – Etoniah State Forest Reroute
- 4.6.15 – Map 19 – Buckman Lock
- 3.2.15 – Map 17 – Camp Blanding Trail Relocation
- 2.14.15 – Map 16 – Lake Butler Forest Reroute
- 9.29.14 – Map 18 – Buckman Lock now open seven days a week
- 1.30.20- Map 21 – Lower Wekiva River Preserve State Park Trail Closure
- 10.24.19 – Map 21 – Seminole State Forest Reroute
- 10.2.19 – Map 24 – Forever Florida Trail Open, No Camping
- 12.22.18 – Map 22 – Reroute in Oviedo along Cross Seminole Trail
- 12.3.18 – Map 22 – Spring Hammock Preserve Campsite Added
- 4.10.18 – Map 34 – Pitcher Pumps Added in Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park
- 4.3.18 – Map 35 – Micco Bluff Road Reroute
- 3.23.18 – Map 21 – Lower Wekiva River Preserve State Park Trail Closure
- 2.5.18 – Map 34 – Updated S65A Lock Access Procedures
- 12.2.17 – Map 34 – Kissimmee Prairie Preserve SP Reroute
- 12.30.16 – Map 33 – North Three Lakes Reroute
- 11.18.16 – Map 35 – Yates Marsh Reroute
- 7.7.20 Big Cypress Prescribed Burn closure
- 4.23.20- Map 37-40- Lake Okeechobee Closure Map with open dates
- 1.22.20 – Map 37 – Lake Okeechobee Trail open from John Stretch Park to Clewiston
- 1.16.20 – Map 37 – Lake Okeechobee Construction Closure. Clewiston to Moore Haven
- 7.16.19 – Map 36 – Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail Taylor Creek Closure
- 12.5.17 – Map 40 – Pitcher Pump Installed at STA5 Trailhead
- 12.27.16 – Map 40 -Bee Boxes Along Levees
- 4.15.13 – Map 36 – Lake Okeechobee Taylor Creek Reroute