Length: 37.9 miles (linear)
The lands comprising the Twin Rivers State Forest are owned by the Suwannee River Water Management District. It is managed by two state agencies; Florida Division of Forestry (primary) and the Florida Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission (hunting).
There are four primitive campsites along the trail. Two are within the Ellaville Unit, and the Black and Mill Creek North Units each have one. Other points of interest along the trail include the Big Oak Trail, a loop trail on the peninsula formed by the confluence of the Suwannee and Withlacoochee Rivers, the Stroud Family Cemetery, and the Drew Mansion Ruins. To reach this historic site and picnic area, follow the blue-blazed trail just south of the railroad tracks close to old US 90 (0.5 mile round trip). It was at this point that historians believe Spanish explorer Hernando DeSoto crossed the Suwannee River in September 1539 on his quest to the Mississippi River. The picnic area is also the site of the Drew Mansion Ruins, once the plantation home of Governor Drew during the post-Civil War Reconstruction period. A blue blazed interpretive trail leads you around the historic site. From the picnic area, the Big Oak Trail leads east across the river into the main part of the park.
To the west of CR 53, the Florida Trail follows forest roads owned and managed by private timber companies. This is a spirited effort of the companies in cooperation with the Florida Trail Association. Hikers have the opportunity to witness ongoing commercial forestry activities. The companies also lease out the hunting rights to their lands. For more information contact the Suwannee Chapter